Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Introducing the Crawford Crochet Necklace!


I am so excited to reveal the "Crawford Necklace" that appears in the March 2011 issue of the UK magazine, Inside Crochet!  When I saw the call for submissions for this issue, I knew I had to submit because they were requesting vintage inspired designs.  I have a collection of jewelry from the 1950's, and was especially inspired by my rhinestone necklaces.  I challenged myself to create a delicate piece in yarn, and chose to use a hint of metallic gold to give the necklace a fine jewelry feel.  It was the first time I have ever worked with Twilley's "Goldfingering" yarn.  It has such a beautiful sheen and is guaranteed not to tarnish.

I love projects like this necklace, because you can crochet one in an afternoon, and have something new to wear out in the evening!  If you need a quick gift, you can whip one up quickly with yarn from your stash and have a unique piece to give.

There are a few other reasons I am so excited about this issue; the first reason is because my design was one of the projects featured on the cover.  Every designer dreams of being on the cover of a magazine, and this is the closest I have been!  The other reason is because the magazine asked me to write about my inspiration for this design, and I was given the priveledge of submitting additional photos of the jewelry pieces from my collection that inspired me in creating this necklace.  I was also able to talk about my design process and how the necklace evolved.  They even included a photo of one of the early prototypes!

There are some wonderful garments and accessories in this issue.  If you are looking for a new project, Inside Crochet 15 is definitely worth checking out! If you would like to buy the necklace pattern separately (in US crochet terms), you can download it from Ravelry for $2.99. 

(Photo by KAL Media)


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! The gold really adds to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I just found your Blog via 'i-crochet' and then I realised that I've got the magazine that your gorgeous necklace is in!! And, it's my next project to attempt!!

    I'll be having a c-section tomorrow and I'll be taking in my wool and hooks - will see if I get any time to do it in hospital, or may have to wait til we come home!

    Love your Blog!
    Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am so happy that you are going to make the necklace Groovy Pumpkin! Good luck tomorrow and congratulations in advance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a Stunning necklace!
    Congratulations on it being published :)

    ReplyDelete