Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Paris Belt- a Tutorial Inspired by the Kyoto Coat


My favorite part of  the Kyoto Coat that I designed for the 2010 Crochet Guild of America design competition, was the crazy quilt style sash.  Ever since it won the grand prize, I wanted to design a woman's belt inspired by the Kyoto Coat.  It was so fun to make, I decided to write a tutorial to share with readers of my blog.



Kyoto Coat Sash

I suggest shopping for fabrics with a color in mind.  First, choose a print that you love, then choose 4 or 5 more that complement it.  For the belt shown, I chose mostly cotton fabrics, but you may choose any medium weight fabric that can tolerate a moderate iron setting.  Don't be afraid to use the back side of fabrics as well.  I used the back side of 2 of the fabrics I chose for this belt.  

Some patience will be required when outlining the fabric sections with crocheted chains, but if you are diligent, it will really pay off, as it is this detail that really makes the belt.  Enjoy, and please post photos if you make one!  You can download the full tutorial from Ravelry, please see the link below.

Materials:

Paper for making the pattern
A selection of printed fabrics
Medium weight, iron-on interfacing
Ironing board and iron
Crochet hooks in size C/2 (2.75mm), and D/3 (3.25mm)
Yarn needle
Sewing needle
Rust proof pins


DOWNLOAD TUTORIAL HERE

Pin It

14 comments:

  1. oh how lovely, I will definitely be giving this ago. Delighted to find your blog and explore your crochet work today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tracey! I am happy you like the blog and hope you will become a regular visitor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely, lovely! The cutest belt I've ever seen! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous - I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. merci beaucoup c'est tres chouette
    Helene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelby, I would love to try this project but the .pdf says it has a problem and can't be repaired. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kyria,

    I just checked, and the pdf seems to be ok now. Please try again if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I love your belt. Thanks a lot for your comment on my blog.
    I follow your pages from Brittany in France !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, i didn't answer ... yes, you can copy my photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Creations manuelles! I will be posting them soon!

    ReplyDelete